Intramuscular Injection Techniques
If you would like information about workshop dates or would like to develop a specific programme or host this workshop, please call 0330 111 6459 or email email@example.com
For information about all PMA Workshops, click here.
For feedback from other NHS Organisations about our workshops, click here.
This workshop is designed to provide the theoretical knowledge base for the care team who wish to expand their range of practice to include Intramuscular (IM) Injections. The information contained in this package has been developed in line with evidence-based national policies and procedures. The workshop is aimed at: Nurses, Health Care Assistants, Allied Health Professionals and candidates undertaking a Health Care Apprenticeship.
Prior to undertaking this training package, the individual must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a suitably experienced member of the care team with their manager’s permission to undertake this training.
- Work in a suitable environment where there is a requirement for IM injections which will enable the individual to maintain competence.
- Numbers will be limited to 12 due to the highly interactive and practical nature of this training.
Delegates will fully understand the underpinning theory and will be able to demonstrate they can identify the correct patient, gain consent and safely administer the correct dose of medication via intramuscular injection.
- Identify the relevant anatomy and physiology
- Demonstrate knowledge of the criteria for choosing both the site and needle size to use.
- Discuss the potential problems which may be encountered, how to prevent them and necessary interventions.
- Show understanding of the health and safety/risk management of the procedure, including the correct disposal of equipment.
- Discuss adult safeguarding and demonstrate awareness of anaphylactic reaction.
|09.15||Registration & Coffee|
|09.30||Introduction and Welcome – Overview of the Programme, Objectives & Accountability|
|09.40||Open Forum – Identifying your challenges|
|09.50||Communication, Safety & Anatomy|
|10.10||Infection Prevention and Control & Selection of Equipment|
|11.05||Intramuscular Injection Procedure|
|12.00||Potential Complications, Preventative measures, Teamworking|
Who Should Attend?
Nurses, Health Care Assistants, Allied Health Professionals and candidates undertaking a Health Care Apprenticeship
Don't miss opportunity to work with leading specialists in a series of full day workshops specifically focused on the ‘business’ aspects of General Practice.